8.25.2007

NICU D4 8/25

proud papa
burping james
momma feeding miles

tube feeding/bink stimulating mouth

This morning they started becoming slow to eat. Rather than use all their energy trying to eat they had tubes (James by his 8am feeding, Miles by his 5pm) in their nose traveling to their tummy. Breast milk is fed right to their tummy, bypassing using energy to get it there. This is normal for NICU babies and normal to be doing well and wear out. Rich and I were able to spend time with both of them.

At the evening visit (while in isolettes, we can have them out twice a day) I was going to have them out by myself. The nurse, a sweet grandma, asked if my girls were still in the hall, because we had started talking about them. She then allowed Grace and Kate to be in the family room. It was a tiny closet of a room but we were thrilled to have Grace see her brother. They quietly and quickly hurried in and were as quiet as they could be. Grace had been begging to see her brothers. I had even being previously accused of "not being a very good listener" and "not making a good choice" by telling Grace she could not go in to NICU . James was able to leave his isolette and I brought him for a very short visit. Grace loved it. She held him and kissed him twice. She held her doll and and said they matched in size. She was so happy to be so close to him. Katie touched his foot and kissed the top of his head and played in her chair. I know the other nurses in NICU were not happy with what our nurse offered, but the 3-5 minutes Grace had were great.



No comments:

Why I blog.